Why Should I Purchase a Rug Pad?
Rug pads are beneficial in many ways. They are also available in many different styles and materials (including rubber, felt, self-stick), and from very thin, non-skid only to thick, comfort pads.
Here are a few reasons to consider using a rug pad for your area or Oriental rug:
- Especially important with runners, pads provide slip resistant underlayment.
- Rug pads can make your room quieter and warmer – decreasing sound while increasing thermal insulation.
- Pads help prevent wrinkling and buckling, important for two main reasons: wrinkling/buckling causes premature wear on your rug, and it can present a tripping hazard for yourself or your guests.
- Pads provide extra comfort underfoot, a more luxurious “feel”.
- Pads help promote airflow, helpful for two main reasons: airflow helps vacuuming be more efficient, and it will help our rug “breathe” better, reducing moisture being trapped, especially rugs with a latex backing.
- Rug pads provide extra protection for your hard surface flooring. Excessive movement of a rug on a hardwood floor can begin to act like sandpaper, marring the surface of the flooring.
- Pads protect against dye bleed or crocking of dye onto the surface under your rug, be it vinyl, hardwood, or carpeting.
- For pet owners, we have our new Eco Supreme pad. This product has a moisture-resistant non-skid backing that can actually protect your floor from pet accidents. This can save you from the expense of having your hardwood floors refinished.
When choosing the right type of rug pad, you should consider a few things first:
- Where will the rug be? On hardwood? On another carpet? On Cement?
- How thick is my rug?
- Howthick should the rug pad be? Experts say that the rule of thumb for selecting padding is that the area rug should be no more than one-eighth to one-quarter inch from the floor.
- What are the main reasons for getting a rug pad? Non-slip? Comfort?
- What’s the correct size for my rug? – Generally speaking, a pad is trimmed to about one inch inside the dimensions of the rug, excluding any fringe. For example, a pad or cushion for an 8’ x 10’ rug would be 7’10” x 9”10”.
We can help you select the proper pad for your Oriental or area rug and answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to stop by at our shop at 215 Mushroom Blvd, Suite 1803, Rochester, NY 14623. We will show you the types of pad we have available and give you samples to help you decide!